Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eurotrip Day 2: Naples Italy



The following is an excerpt from my travel journal for the second day of my European trip in Naples Italy.

Napoli 9-13-09

"Woke up early, and had breakfast at the hostel. Set off to visit Pompeii with 2 British girls, German guy, and a Dutch girl. Took two trains to get there and 45 mins. First was a metro to the Napoli Central, then the circumvesuviana to the Pompeii Scavi station. Pompeii is amazing! The sheer magnitude of the amount of history and ruins there is hard to comprehend. The city is very big and takes a long time to navigate through. The dead bodies were harder to locate then we had expected. Eventually we did manage to find some rather charming specimen. Also, there are stray dogs and puppies all over Pompeii that sleep so still on the marble floors that they too look dead. After we finished with Pompeii, we trained to Sorrento to take a dip in the Mediterranean Sea(my first ever dip in the med). Sorrento is beautiful, quiet and clean. The water of the sea is crystal clear. We had quite a swim out to a rock breakwater where we dried in the sun and dove back in. We could see spear fisherman in the depths as we swam over them. We had a nice spot on a small beach, where we listened to music and played frisbee for about 2 hours.

The Beach and Jetty in Sorrento, Italy.

On our way back to the train, we stopped for gelato, which was excellent. After a train back to Naples, myself and my new German friend, walked through the city for some traditional Napoli pizza. It was delicious. In fact, it is the only thing they eat here."


After this entry, my new group of friends and I played some American and European drinking games for a while with wine, that only cost 2.5 Euros per bottle at the hostel, which was a great deal if you ask me. Then I slept, because the next day, I had a change of scenery. This time it would be Rome.

I had a great time in Naples. Every moment I was there is a cherished memory, that I won't forget. Although before going there, many people had warned me that Naples was dangerous and scary, Never for a moment was I worried or scared, and I found the people to be extraordinarily friendly. And I never met any Italian mafia people although I hear there is a mafia controlled district. I highly recommend a trip to Naples for anyone that is traveling through Italy.


Italy: Women so hot, your face will melt off!

Italy: Also has volcanoes to melt your face off!